Disclaimer

The author(s) of this blog are NOT medical experts. The author(s) of this website are NOT religious scholars. The opinions on this blog are based solely upon life experiences and are not intended to be provided as professional advice. Opinions may be formed based on the following, including but not limited to: academic works, published works and religious biblical contexts. Any commentary published on this blog are layman opinions unless expressly specified.

Friday, July 10, 2015

Introduction

After a lot of consideration and discussion, I have decided to start this blog, Mental Illness: Mental Awareness. The purpose of this blog is two-fold but holds one outcome: healing. It is in part for me, and in part for you. My husband suffers from mental illness. I have asked his permission to start this blog. It places both of us in a vulnerable position. He has his concerns but has agreed. Because of his illness, his mind could once again change, but that is yet to be determined.

From here on out, my husband will be known as DH (Dear Husband).
I believe it is appropriate to respect his privacy. Those who are close friends and know us well will know who I am referring to in my posts. Those who do not, his privacy will be maintained. I will go by my first name only and am providing a form for those who wish to contact me confidentially.

The reason I have not told you what DH’s mental illness is at this point (it will soon be revealed) is because I want to illustrate the fact that mental illness is mental illness; much like cancer is cancer. When comparisons begin, it is like cancer patients comparing who is suffering the most, who has the most severe stage of cancer, who could possibly die first. Cancer patients rarely do this, rather, they have a respect for one anther all in the same plight, to steal a few more moments of life with the ones they love.

Mental illness is mental illness. It may range from mild clinical depression, to anxiety, to obsessive compulsive disorder, to manic-depressive bipolar, to schizophrenia to multiple personality disorder and so many other disorders in-between. Mental illness not only impacts the individual with the illness but it also directly impacts his or her family members as well.

DH and I have children who will be referred to as DD1 and DD2 (Dear Daughter 1 and Dear Daughter 2). Again, this is to maintain privacy at this point. If I feel that more exposure is appropriate or necessary, I will reveal as I feel comfortable.

So our adventure together begins. Placing a large picture window into my life both frightens me and exhilarates me. Know from the beginning that I only have my life experiences, my research, my personality, my faith and my strength to offer. You may not relate to every experience or example that I bring to you but every example is real, every experience has been lived and every challenging moment has been a moment for me to become stronger than I am. I hope you can pull from my strength and knowledge to better a life of your own.

~Elizabeth~

Enter your email address to receive updates
every time a new blog post is published:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Mental Illness: Mental Awareness will never
provide or sell your email address to third parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment